SUBSTANTIVE / DEVELOPMENTAL EDITING & COACHING FOR AUTHORS OF FICTION & NONFICTION
Whether you are a seasoned author or in the first stages of your first book, I'm here to help by:
- Guiding you through the process.
- Providing honest, respectful, and constructive feedback.
- Coaching you to go beyond what you thought was possible.
- When I work with authors of fiction and memoir: I address such elements as: story and character arc, characters and character motivations, structure, clarity, ideas about how to show the action rather than tell it, dialogue, theme, tone, pacing, particularity, point of view, maintaining suspense, word choice, use of adjectives and adverbs, and many other substantive and stylistic possibilities.
When I work with authors of nonfiction: I address such elements as: concept, content, structure, style, tone, pacing, organization and delivery of information, persuasiveness, clarity, unique position in the marketplace, ability to reach target readers, biographical information about the author, and many other substantive and stylistic possibilities, including storytelling techniques for illustrating concepts.
MY RANGE OF SERVICES INCLUDES:
- Comprehensive critiques for substance, structure, and style.
- Built-in coaching in every written critique.
- On-the-page editing (also called line-editing) for substance, structure, and style.
- A combination of line-edit and critique when appropriate.
- Providing what amounts to a detailed blueprint for your next draft.
- Coaching you to stretch beyond what you thought you were capable of as a writer and storyteller.
- Helping you develop and polish the concept, structure, content, and style of a book.
- Query letters--writing and/or editing
- Synopses--writing and/or editing
- Book proposals--writing and/or editing
- Author bios--writing and/or editing
- Jacket/back-cover copy--writing and/or editing
- Consulting on all aspects of publishing
- Consulting on page-to-screen adaptation
- Web copywriting
For book-length manuscripts, especially for the first draft I work on, I typically charge a flat fee based on the number of words in your book.
Included in your flat fee for book-length assignments is a one-hour post-critique/post-edit consultation.
For subsequent book-length drafts, we can discuss whether a flat fee or an hourly rate would be appropriate.
For partials, other shorter works, and additional consultations, I generally charge an hourly rate.
Contact me for a free initial consultation, scope-of-work assessment, and fee quote.