Customized editorial, writing, and consulting services for authors of fiction, memoir, and general nonfiction.
Need help with your book? It's already there, just waiting to be discovered.
- As your editor, I'll give you more than just a list of your strengths and your challenges.
- I'll reveal that what you aspire to is already there, in your own work.
- I'll show you how to reveal, build, and multiply your talents. This is one of the secret ingredients in my work.
- My other secret ingredient is to give you a rare glimpse into the mind of your reader by tracking my moment-by-moment reactions to your work in the margins of your manuscript: laughter, tears, illumination, edge-of-the-seat suspense, emotional investment, credibility, and more.
- I'll bring genuine enthusiasm and encouragement to the process of giving you honest feedback. The revision process should be an opportunity to strengthen not only your abilities, but also your confidence in them.
TELL THE NAYSAYERS--WITHIN AND WITHOUT--TO TAKE A HIKE.
When I was working on my first novel, I heard way too many people declare that first-time novelists have a better chance at winning the lottery than getting published. I could have listened to them and given up. Instead I decided to ignore that noise and landed a sizeable two-book deal.
Along the way, I have been blessed with a great deal of support, the greatest of whom is a brilliant teacher, a gifted storyteller, and a steadfast friend who kindly reads draft after draft of my novels, imparting her wisdom and advice and galvanizing me with her tireless belief in my abilities.
That is why I am passionate about helping other writers realize their dreams. That is why I understand how important it is to have an editor who is insightful, respectful, and skilled at providing feedback. An editor who believes in the work, and in the author.
- CONTACT ME FOR A FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION. In your email, tell me about yourself, your book, what you think you might be looking for in an editor, and let's set up a time to talk. In advance of our call, please feel free to send me the first ten double-spaced pages of your book. During our call, we can talk about what your ideal editor might be like, how I might be of service, and my thoughts on your pages. If we seem like we might be a good match, I'll draw up a proposed scope-of-work assessment for you with a fee quote. If all is acceptable, we can proceed from there.
I look forward to talking to you about your work, your passions, and your dreams.
Developmental editing, coaching, & copywriting
I WORK WITH AUTHORS OF FICTION, MEMOIR, AND GENERAL NONFICTION.
Whether you are a seasoned author or in the first stages of your first book, I'm here to help by:
• Guiding you through the process.
• Providing honest, respectful, and constructive feedback.
• Giving you a rare window into the mind of your reader.
• Providing in-depth editing for substance, structure and style.
• Coaching you to go beyond what you thought was possible.
- Comprehensive analysis of your manuscript and/or book proposal that addresses the strengths and challenges of your work's substance, structure, and style on a chapter-by-chapter, section-by-section, page-by-page, and line-by-line level as well as an overall level.
- The guidance you need to crystallize your story arc, character arc, and your hero's journey.
- Book proposal writing, editing, research, and strategy.
- Line-editing that polishes to perfection.
- Highly detailed notes and suggestions that serve as a blueprint for your next draft.
- Built-in coaching in every critique. Encouragement every step of the way.
- Developmental guidance to help you perfect the concept, structure, content, and style of your book.
- Storytelling tips and techniques, including demonstrating ways to "show, don't tell."
- Customized, one-on-one instruction, writing exercises, and coaching in storytelling techniques, built around your work in progress.
- Query letters, author bios, jacket copy, and synopses.
- Web content, blog posts, social media posts, and newsletters.
- Consulting on the adaptation of your work to the screen.
- And much more.