Customized editing and book coaching services for authors of fiction, memoir, and general nonfiction.
"Laurie Rigler's brilliant editing skills are a writer's greatest ally. In my 25-year career in publishing, I've had the pleasure of working with many great editors around the world and Laurie's talent is unsurpassed. She has an extraordinary ability to break through any impasse, and to help find just the right words that will touch readers' hearts the most."
–Taro Gold, co-author with Tina Turner
of Happiness Becomes You: A Guide to Changing Your Life for Good (Atria)
Need help with your book? It's already there, just waiting to be discovered.
As a fellow author, I know how important it is to have an editor who is insightful, skilled, and respectful.
Encouragement is key.
I am your ally, your supporter, your elevating, inspiring, force-of-nature professional who has great joy in seeing you succeed.
Which is why I am also unflinching. To best serve you and your book, you want an editor who tells you what works and what doesn't and why.
As much as we all wish someone would tell us, "Don't change a word. It's perfect," an editor who tells you only what you want to hear is a waste of time and money.
I'll reveal the strengths and talents that you already possess—and show you how to build upon and multiply those strengths:
- You'll get a breakdown of what works well in your book so that you can see the mechanics of your techniques. Then you'll have the tools to apply those same skills and talents to other areas that need them.
- You'll receive specific, detailed suggestions on how to fix what isn't working well and improve what could work better.
- You'll get feedback in the form of not only margin comments in your manuscript, but also a separate analysis document.
I'll give you a rare glimpse into the mind of your reader (that's me), by telling you exactly what my reactions are, moment by moment, in real time, as I'm reading your book. You'll see these reactions via running commentary in the margins of your manuscript:
- You'll find out what makes this reader laugh, moves her to tears, puts her on the edge of her seat, makes her want to punch the villain, dance for joy, or kiss the hero.
- You'll discover what's confusing this reader, or taking her out of the story, or making her impatient for the story to move forward.
In the separate analysis document (typically around 20-60 single-spaced pages for a book-length work), you'll receive detailed notes on how your book works as a whole, broken down by applicable storytelling elements, as well as more chapter-by-chapter notes and tracking.
That's in addition to the margin comments in your manuscript—as many as 450-900 comments for a full-length book.
Whether you are a seasoned author or in the first stages of your first book or proposal, I can provide what you need.
Not sure what/whom exactly you're looking for? I offer a free, one-hour initial consultation that includes detailed feedback on your pages*. Email me, and let's set up a time to talk (audio or video call).
- In your email, tell me about yourself, your book, and what you think you might be looking for in an editor. In advance of our call, please send me *the first ten double-spaced pages of your book-length work or the first three double-spaced pages of your shorter work. During our call, we can talk more about what your ideal editor might be like, your publishing aspirations, how I might be of service, and my thoughts on your pages. If we seem like a good match, I'll then draw up a proposed scope-of-work assessment for you with a fee quote.